I am 46 today!

Can you believe it, I had to count to remember what's my age. It shows that with each passing year, age is a number that is lost. You no longer remember the number of years spent but just live life as it passes by. Remember the reunion I attended last week. During the gathering, someone shared about this book,  'Half Time' http://www.amazon.com/Halftime-Changing-Your-Success-Significance/dp/0310215323.
As Buford explains, 'My passion is to multiply all that God has given me, and in the process, give it back.' That requires asking important questions: What am I really good at? What do I want to do? What is most important to me?

Yes, it is my half time. My first half - married, have children, raise them up. Uprooted ourselves and lived in foreign lands…  As they slowly grow up and be independent, I will no longer be as much needed. Giving them space and giving myself more time to reach my potential is my goal for the next half of my life. I cannot just live my life status quo. Giving up my job to be a full-time mother was the biggest step and risk I have ever taken. I do not come from a rich family, neither does the spouse. Living on single income with two young children was stretching our faith to the fullest. God has shown Himself to be faithful. We have never lacked anything. In fact, we upgraded from a 3-room flat to a 4-room flat. I believed I have made the right choice and have raised my kids well. Now, it is up to them to take on what they have received from me and learn to be on their own with the values I have imparted to them. As for me, it is time to take on the next risk. Like what a friend - pastor said, "aging adventurously".

The call to come home must have a reason, must have a purpose. The reason is to "GIVE BACK". The prompting seems to be getting louder. Like what my pastor in Shanghai said "His will, He pays, Your will, you pay." This will be the preparation stage, seeking His will for the next half time.

Checking the meaning of my name Shirley (by the way, my parents gave me this name from birth. It is in my birth cert, I didn't name it myself), it means bright meadow. Meadow is a grassy big field. It means big-ness… opportunities to do so much with it and on top of that, it is bright. No wonder I love vastness and brightness.

That's it, opportunities are out there, CARPE DIEM! I pray my next half of my life will be just as fulfilling as my first half. Please pray with me and walk with me.

Happy Birthday to you, Shirley!

20121025_090511
20121025_090528
20121025_090550
Birthday card from the son. His usual self…

20121025_090623
20121025_090640
Birthday card from the daughter. See, it's a 3D card and with her dog!

20121025_091317
Birthday gift from the spouse. It will be our first couple time after a L-O-N-G break 

No comments:

Post a Comment